Enhancement suggestion

Editor
Nov 15, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Hi,

i am testing SnomTastic and once again, i must admit that it's a incredible tool.

As thinking about using it in a production environnement, i wonder how to handle resiliency. As it's a Web app, i first thougt that would be pretty easy : just use a HLB, a couple of Web servers, a clustered SQL backend  and let's go. Ok, it seems to be pretty much for this :-) but as this kind of infrastructure is already available in most OCS enterprise deployment, why not reusing it ?

So i setup a test environment with a BigIP HLB and guess what ! it works but the problem is that if you use SNAT (which is mostly the case), Snomtastic will report the HLB IP instead of the Phone IP address.

So in order to be SNAT compliant, we need to use something else than the client IP, and here is the beauty of http headers : X-Forwarded-For is exactly what we need (and BigIP is able to handle it).

It only requires a slight change in the code : 

In Register.aspx.cs, replace

ipAddress = Request.UserHostAddress;

by :

ipAddress = Request.Headers.Get("X-Forwarded-For"); 
if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(ipAddress)) 
{ 
  ipAddress
= Request.UserHostAddress; 
} 

I will try to do the change by myself, but if you are willing to do it, it's even better :-)

Thanks for all

Stephen

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 7:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback Stephen!

Jamie let me know of it today, and I believe he was planning to adopt your suggestion.

Very cool to see people getting use out of it! :-D