A question or two?

May 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to build the snomtastic server at this very moment, just waiting for Windows Updates first. However, thought of these quick questions while I was waiting.

1>In my test enviornment can I use the MS SQL Express 2008 edition or do I need the full thing?

2>Is snomtastic only for use with the OCS or can it be used to provision phones for any system?

~Ta

Scott

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Hey Scott,

Welcome aboard mate - hope it works well for you.

SQL Express 2008 should work fine - the database is relatively small and there shouldn't be any significant restrictions to prevent it. You might just need access to SQL Management Studio to manage the database, which can be obtained via the SQL install from either the full or demo version of SQL 2008.

Although we designed it with OCS in mind, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to manage a non-OCS deployment. The only issue I can think of is that the client probably becomes a little redundant. The client and server interaction is around updating and storing the Windows username and password so as to automate the end user management, which has been a huge benefit to our PABX replacement with OCS and Snom. But the server side is flexible so that you can have basically any config you want, so a non-OCS deployment should definitely work. 

I know there's a bunch of great users helping each other around the discussions here (which is greatly appreciated - makes for a great community) so feel free to ask questions, and if we don't catch it, others probably will! :-)

Cheers,

Matt

Developer
May 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

1. Ms Sql Express 2008 works fine

2. Yes its designed primarily for OCS, but I I believe it would be possible to recode it for other SIP servers.. would take a bit of work though

3. And your gonna hate this one.. watch out for missing files in the web distribution.. the web distro hasn’t been updated in ages, and no one seems to want to give anyone willing to update it access to the project.

a. Do not use the source distro.. missing way too many files

b. The Release distro for 1.2 seems to work a lot better than 1.2.1, but its is missing a file also… cant remember the exact one but I do remember that it had to be coppied from the one directory in the release to another.

4. “morman is the best person to ask which file it was, he helped me a lot at first startup.. plus he is the US Snom distributor… so he’s got good prices on the equipment

I’ve tried to get on the dev team for snom so I could upload all the updates and corrected code morman and I have to codeplex, but have no response yet.

Mike

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:52 AM
To: Mike Wilson
Subject: A question or two? [snomtastic:257054]

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to build the snomtastic server at this very moment, just waiting for Windows Updates first. However, thought of these quick questions while I was waiting.

1>In my test enviornment can I use the MS SQL Express 2008 edition or do I need the full thing?

2>Is snomtastic only for use with the OCS or can it be used to provision phones for any system?

~Ta

Scott

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

Confidential:
The information contained in this transmission, which may be confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission and the reply from your electronic mail system.

--
believed to be clean.
May 10, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers.

Sounds good. However, maybe I should outline what I'm going to be trying to do then and maybe "snomtastic" is not the best option for this and I'll have to go back to writing my own.

I work in the UK for an ISP who are starting to offer VoIP services along with snom devices (I'm now a snom SCE/VAR).

What I'm trying/looking at doing is building some form of provisioning server that will allow us to Auto Provision and Update the phones via the XML schema from one central point. I was hoping that snomtastic could have done this for me as I had started writing my own.

Your thoughts please guys.

I'm open to ideas and comments.

~Yours,

Scott

Developer
May 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

So your not planning on using OCS/Lync as your backend then?

Have you looked at “snom ONE”

Also, talk to your snom dealer/regional sales manager.. I knowo snom has a provisioning system for sip applications, it was offered to me once for our setup, but snomtastic was a better fit due to the OCS backend we have.

Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:37 AM
To: Mike Wilson
Subject: Re: A question or two? [snomtastic:257054]

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers.

Sounds good. However, maybe I should outline what I'm going to be trying to do then and maybe "snomtastic" is not the best option for this and I'll have to go back to writing my own.

I work in the UK for an ISP who are starting to offer VoIP services along with snom devices (I'm now a snom SCE/VAR).

What I'm trying/looking at doing is building some form of provisioning server that will allow us to Auto Provision and Update the phones via the XML schema from one central point. I was hoping that snomtastic could have done this for me as I had started writing my own.

Your thoughts please guys.

I'm open to ideas and comments.

~Yours,

Scott

--
believed to be clean.

Confidential:
The information contained in this transmission, which may be confidential and proprietary, is only for the intended recipients. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or electronic mail and confirm that you deleted this transmission and the reply from your electronic mail system.

--
believed to be clean.
Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Hey Mike,

mjwilson0675 wrote:

2. Yes its designed primarily for OCS, but I I believe it would be possible to recode it for other SIP servers.. would take a bit of work though

The only part which should need retooling is the client, but this would be largely redundant for a non-OCS install anyway. The server itself has some AD dependencies, but if you don't use them in the phone config, it shouldn't come into play.

3. And your gonna hate this one.. watch out for missing files in the web distribution.. the web distro hasn’t been updated in ages, and no one seems to want to give anyone willing to update it access to the project.

a. Do not use the source distro.. missing way too many files

b. The Release distro for 1.2 seems to work a lot better than 1.2.1, but its is missing a file also… cant remember the exact one but I do remember that it had to be coppied from the one directory in the release to another.

4. “morman is the best person to ask which file it was, he helped me a lot at first startup.. plus he is the US Snom distributor… so he’s got good prices on the equipment

I'm not sure why this is still an issue - Jamie had said he was going to resolve this, but I'll check in with him on it. My apologies.

I’ve tried to get on the dev team for snom so I could upload all the updates and corrected code morman and I have to codeplex, but have no response yet.

To be honest I think this was an oversight on both of our parts. I recall discussing it with Jamie and we'd essentially said we were ok with it. It probably doesn't help that I've had time off due to illness. I'm going to fix it rigt now for you - sorry mate. 

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM

NewNet_Scott wrote:

It sounds like Snomtastic either does or is close to doing what you need. I'm pretty sure the config is flexible enough to allow for non-OCS/Lync installs. I know we've tested all manner of configs and firmware with it, which is really the main advantage it has. Not all aspects of the Snom docs are accurate.

I'm not familiar with Snom ONE, which Mark mentioned. That may well be another option. 

May 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your thoughts.

I'll crack on and give snomtastic a go anyhow as the Windows Updates have now just about finished (joy).

I'm familiar with snomOne as this is one of the platforms that we are looking at for the small office users.

However, it does not have its own provisioning server built in well not to the level that I was after anyhow.

Once again thanks guys.

~Scott

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM

No problems. Keep us updated, and feel free to ask if you run into any issues.

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I'll also speak to Jamie tomorrow - I'm sure he said he had a new build to upload with enhancements and fixes.

Coordinator
May 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Just to elaborate on my thinking from last night; the key thing with Snomtastic Server is that (presently) it ties a phone to an AD user. 

That said, there is nothing that absolutely requires the deployment of any AD details to the phone, unless you want to use OCS. 

So long as you associate a handset with a user, and a default config exists at minimum, it will deploy the config you've set. The AD user in this case is just there to tell Snomtastic that this is an active phone which should have a config deployed.

What I don't expect to work, of course, is any Snomtastic client functionality (since that's entirely based around setting the AD password for the phone, and some value-added features for phone ring etc).

This in turn means that SIP accounts would either have a static or no password to enable the phone to automatically sign in.

However I've added an issue which would allow the OCS functionality to be switched off. Perhaps in this instance it could store 'any' account details, rather than just AD. It also suggests a non-OCS version of the client.

I've also tried to capture at least some of the functionality that's been discussed for v2 as new issues.

Coordinator
May 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I think Jamie has today corrected the 1.2.1 server upload.

Will follow up with him on the later build + source.

Also, it may be of value to check out Drago's awesome instructions, starting here: http://www.lynclog.com/2011/04/snomtastic-phone-management-system-part.html

We do plan to leverage this and his enhanced database, both have huge value to the project.