Multiple Identities

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM

I know it is possible to assign a user to multiple phones. Can I assign multiple users (identities) to one phone via snomtastic?

thanks

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Hi there,

Yes, you can certainly create multiple identities as part of the configuration. Each identity field has an "index" which can be set - for identity 1, the index is set to 1. For 2, set it to 2, and so forth. This gives you the ability you're looking for.

Initially this was put in to allow for the fallback functionality of Snom phones - they can fall back from OCS/Lync (identity 1 only at the time) to a SIP identity, automatically, by using the appropriate options. However with later Snom firmware, any identity can be an OCS/Lync user, and this should still work. The only "issue" as such is the Snomtastic client, which of course has a single user focus (the currently logged in user on the desktop), but there are of course multiple ways to manage this.

The other consideration (if you're deploying Exchange UM) is voicemail security. One thing I like to do is to use Snomtastic to override the EUM settings, such that the voicemail button dials the 'pilot' number for EUM. EUM will recognise the number the user's calling from, and prompt them for their pin. Much better from a security standpoint!

Matt

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Hi Matt,

I've just started to work back on the multiple identities. I have managed to edit the configuration to create the fields for identity 2, but how to I assign the second user to the phone?

Thanks

Khalid