snom821 and UC firmware

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Hello to the community.

I am in the process of evaluating the snom821 handset with the UC firmware, and would like to know if anyone has used the Snomtastic server application to provision these handsets with the new firemware?

What changes to the configuration or Settings files might be needed?

Any advise or examples would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun

Coordinator
Nov 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Hey Shaun,

The highest models I've done are the 820 and the Meetingpoint, but there should be no problems at all. We initially developed around the 320 and 370 models, but left it flexible so that pretty much any model can be added.

The main thing is to create the model within the Snomtastic config, and associate the corresponding firmware version (and file, if you're deploying that version) with it. This is generally easy to determine from the firmware's filename.

Note that if you have an old firmware version to update from, it's generally good practice to create the old firmware version as well - you do not need the firmware itself. This gives you the ability to set the upgrade path via Snomtastic, which we've found useful before when Snom bugs have emerged and needed to go back to an earlier firmware.

Matt

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM
Edited Nov 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply.

I suspect the phone may not be being recognized correctly by the admin application and thus it is not picking up the configuration.

I am using the install instructions and database from Lync log by Drago.  

I have created a model for the handset called : snom821-SIP

I have attached the default configuration to the registered handset    

The phone registers with the system, and the user agent reports as: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; snom821-SIP 8.6.7.3 SPEAr300 SNOM 1.4 OCS)

UPDATE.

The phone model type seems to be correct.  I set the phone to pickup no configuration file, and provided the user password for the ID assigned to the handset.  At that point the phone was able to login to the snomtastic admin console and assign the test user...  The handset picked up the default configuration settings despite having been set to none.

Any advise on troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Shaun